During 2016-2017, I worked with the City of Atlanta in the Information Technology (IT) department as the Senior Program Manager of the "SmartATL" Smart Cities Program on advanced analytics and operations across City departments with activities including:
- Machine Learning and Predictive Analytics for Crime - Liaised with the Atlanta Police Department (APD) on "natural language processing" methods for Machine Learning and Predictive Analytics. The goal for APD is to see potential correlations in crimes, improving the ability to apprehend criminals earlier in the crime sequence and potentially preventing future crimes.
- Adaptive and Responsive Transportation - Liaised with transportation staff on installing the infrastructure needed for more adaptive and responsive transportation (i.e., cameras, sensors, software incorporating Artificial Intelligence/extracting data, radar detection, fiber/cellular communication, etc.). The goal for transportation staff is to move from static traffic signal software timing to signals that respond and adapt to the surrounding mobility situation including motor vehicles, bikes, and pedestrians.
- Smart Water Metering - Liaised with Watershed staff on Automated Metering Infrastructure (AMI) and "smart water meters" to enable 1) remote turn on/shot off as people move in/out of homes, 2) water theft alerts, 3) remote meter reads, and 4) real time and more accurate data on water usage for improved billing, consumption awareness, and dispute resolution. Also liaised with Watershed on installing cameras to monitor water levels during flooding events.
- Smart Trash and Recycling - Liaised with Sustainability and Department of Public Works (DPW) staff working on municipal trash and recycling systems that sense when the receptacle is full, reducing overflow events and enabling more efficient vehicle routing. Also liaised on home-based trash and recycling to check recycling rates and contamination, while targeting education programs strategically.
- Business Intelligence and Enterprise Data Platforms - Worked with staff on Business Intelligence (BI) dashboards for visualization and an Enterprise Data Platform to centralize data across all City departments. This enabled departments to mix and match various datasets to visualize and verify correlations.